Thursday, October 30, 2008

AAA-Action Plan


Now that I understand the geography, history, and challenges facing South Africa, I think I am ready to begin helping. I found out that in a few years there will be a massive transfer of successful agricultural lands from the current white owners to new black owners. Regardless of who is in control of the operation, it is critical that the farms continue to be successful. In effort to continue success, black Africans need to be trained in the skills of commercial agriculture.


Farm Africa (http://www.farmafrica.org.uk/) is an organization that has been helping to develop the farming skills of Africans for over 20 years. Their programs are in effect all over the continent, successfully equipping Africans with the skills to support themselves via farming. Partnering with a successful organization like this could lead to success in my program.


Farm Africa offers kids my age several ways to make a big impact for reasonable sums of money. For 150 pounds (British Money) we can train a 'Village Vet' to prevent animals from dying from preventable conditions; for 250 pounds we can establish a demonstration plot at a school in South Africa to teach kids like me the proper farming techniques; and for 500 pounds we can build a chicken operation at a school to teach the kids about how to best maintain animals. Doing my conversions, these programs range from $200-750. If we can raise $1000 we can establish a training program that would inspire a new generation of agriculture experts in South Africa.

No comments: